Wednesday, April 20, 2011

So Maybe I’m Not Ready For Running…

… but I’m definitely gonna work on it!

I tried a 5K training program on my treadmill tonight (after TOO many days off…).  Max speed was supposed to be 4.4 mph, but I just couldn’t do it – shins got really sore when I tried.to go that fast.  From a bit of research online, it looks like this is most likely due to weakness in my feet and ankles.  I have to imagine that this could be my issue, since I’ve really not been consistent with my workouts so far…

The good news is that it can be fixed!  I just need to work on strengthening those parts of my body, by gradually building up my speed and distance, and probably doing some calf raises on my steps won’t hurt, either…

The bad news?  I’m going to have to rethink my goals for upcoming races a bit – I wanted to run at least PART of Bay to Breakers, and was hoping to do my scheduled 5K in June at least at a slow jog.  The plan now is to do B2B in a bit over 2 hours, and do the 5K in under an hour.  Right now, my “comfort pace” is right around 3 mph.

Oh!!!!  That reminds me – I need to send my 3-month-old Garmin Forerunner in for repair – the stinking backlight quit working!  At least I have not yet sold my old 305 – I can use it while I’m waiting to get the other one back…

Anyway…  my physical well-being is NOT a race – I can slow down if necessary!  And I will….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will respond as quickly as I can...