Sunday, June 26, 2011

My New Favorite Workout

Today, I had the opportunity to try out a new physical activity – white-water rafting.  If you’ve never done this, and don’t mind a “little” bit of water, you really should give it a whirl.

Not only is it Mother Nature’s roller coaster (and far better than any man-made one I’ve ridden so far!); it’s an amazing workout with an excellent calorie burn (at least according to my entry on MyFitnessPal.com).  And it’s so much fun that you don’t even realize how hard your muscles are working…  Remember, you’re not just paddling gently down the stream!  You and your raftmates are following the instructions of the guide, paddling forwards and backwards through powerful maelstroms of water, all while wedging your legs against the inflated ribs of the raft to ensure that you stay aboard.  You also have the opportunity, during the gentler parts of the ride, to drop off the raft for a swim.  This was interesting today, as we were cruising along a river that was swollen with snowmelt – not the warmest water to take a dip in!

As I sit here writing this, I can tell that I’ll certainly be feeling the workout tomorrow, and I’m now reaching for the ibuprofen….

Still, if I could afford it, I would definitely enjoy this workout every day…  I can’t wait to go again!  Who wants to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will respond as quickly as I can...