Monday, September 12, 2011

In The Pink

This past weekend, I was fortunate enough to be a part of one of the most powerful events in the fight against breast cancer – the Susan G. Komen 3-Day For The Cure in San Francisco, California.

I did not walk 60 miles.

I participated as part of the crew that provides support for those who walk.  Together with seven others, I provided snacks, hydration, and an opportunity for a brief rest for over 1500 walkers as part of the Pit Stop 2 crew, aka “The Double Dee Diner”.

Sure, I may not have walked, but, over the four days of participation (crew work starts a day in advance of the event), I took over 50,000 steps, I hauled 40-pound bags of ice, cases of water, bananas, oranges, and other healthy snacks.  I helped erect and tear down a Western Shelter (eight-sided canopy with a cover that weighs about 50 pounds and a frame that requires four people to carry) nine times, and helped load and unload them and other equipment including signs and beverage coolers from our truck.  I slept in one of a sea of pink tents on Treasure Island (partway through the span of the Bay Bridge).  I got up at 5 or earlier and was in bed before 10 each night.  I showered in a truck.  I streaked my hair pink.

PinkHair

I wore funny costumes.

Unfortunately, I also ate the same food as the walkers – there are not many options for eating elsewhere on Treasure Island, and the menus were designed to fuel endurance walkers.  Which, of course, means I put back on some of those pounds I’ve been working so hard to get rid of…

Once again, I’ve got my work cut out for me…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will respond as quickly as I can...